We hope you’ll consider Abbotsford Christian School for Kindergarten!
We know that this is one of the biggest decisions you will make for your family and that’s why we’d love the opportunity to show you some of the reasons we think ACS might be a fit for you.
- One of our core values is to provide CUSTOM-FIT learning for your child. School shouldn’t be one-size-fits-all and we’re committed to educating your child in the way they learn best.
- PROJECT-BASED LEARNING is where it’s at! Not many of us learn best by sitting at a desk with a worksheet. That’s why our teachers use open-ended projects that allow kids to explore, discover, and jump into their learning with both feet!
- We offer PART-TIME & full-time Kindergarten (more choices for you!). Plus our elementary campus features a complete music program and French beginning in grade one (with dedicated teachers in both subjects).
- Most importantly, we are committed to developing not just the MIND of your child, but also their HEART and SOUL. Because we believe in educating the WHOLE CHILD .
BUT WHAT ABOUT…
You may be feeling a little overwhelmed with all the ideas and information here. If you have any questions (we’re assuming you do), please feel free to chat with one of our teachers or plan a time to come in and visit with Roy van Eerden, our principal. Until then, we thought we’d share a few of the most common questions we get about Kindergarten at ACS:
A: Most kids don’t have a moment they are ready for Kindergarten…in fact many aren’t ready! But here are a few good indicators they are well on their way. He/she can: sit quietly for up to 10 minutes, zip up his/her jacket, hold a pencil properly, toilet independently, and cope with new situations. Of course every child is different, so please connect with us if you have any concerns.
A: While every day is a little different and we like to be flexible to the needs and interests of the class, here is a typical outline we use on most days for full-time students:
- Calendar: letter of the week, journal, number work
- Short break
- Story, theme, activities, free choice centers
- Lunch & recess break
- Bible, PE, sharing time, math, and literacy centres
- Close the day with prayer
A: Students in both part-time and full-time cover the exact same material. Generally speaking, by the beginning of grade 1 all students are at the same level. The main difference is children in full-time have more time to practice, reinforce, and apply the concepts in class. Parents of part-time students are expected to help with this at home, instead of class, through games, homework, and every day activities.