Abbotsford Christian School is accepting applications for ON CALL / GUEST EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATORS (ECE) in our new Seamless Day program. The program provides continuous care and support for primary-aged children (kindergarten to grade 2) with access to quality before-and after-school childcare with shared beliefs and a shared mission, vision, and identity as Abbotsford Christian School. This position commences January 3, 2022.
The Seamless Day Model allows primary school children to attend childcare in the kindergarten classroom with a team of Early Childhood Educators (ECE) and the classroom teacher. This model is designed to enhance children’s cognitive, physical, social, and emotional development and benefits from the professional expertise of primary teachers and early childhood educators working together.
Under the direction and supervision of the principal and program director, the Early Childhood Educator (ECE) plans, manages, and implements before-or after-school care and works in partnership with the kindergarten teacher in the classroom. Knowledge of early childhood education is essential.
- The morning ECE greets the children and implements the before-school care and learning program and remains with the children in the kindergarten classroom while collaborating with the classroom teacher in the design of programs and environments, engaging with the Early Learning Framework.
- The afternoon ECE begin their shift mid-day, allowing for staff overlap, collaborates with the classroom teacher in the design of programs and environments, and leads the after-school care and learning program.
The applicant must:
- Have a clear understanding of Christian education
- Practice and demonstrate evidence of a strong commitment to the Christian faith
- Meet the requirements of the ACS Employment of Teachers Contract
- Plan, coordinate, and manage a quality licensed school-age group child-care program for early primary students
- Be able to confidently collaborate with the kindergarten teacher, other ECE, and school staff to create a seamless transition for children moving between the child-care program and the school day
- Establish positive working relationships with school staff, community partners, families, and children.
- With the classroom colleagues, plan and maintain a learning environment that promotes the health, security, and well-being of children.
- Support the transition of information between children, families, and classroom colleagues
The ideal applicant would have the following characteristics:
- Friendly, even-tempered, and a servant-hearted attitude toward staff, parents, and students
- Deep and disciplined understanding of the Christian worldview
- Relational, adaptable, professional, confident, and optimistic
- Confident communication skills with parents, students, and staff/coworkers
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills, ability to work with minimal supervision
The applicant should have the following qualifications:
- Completed Post-Secondary Certificate or Diploma as an Early Childhood Educator
- Current Early Childhood Educator’s Certificate to Practice from the BC (preference given to those with a degree)
- Valid Child Safe First Aid certificate
- Clear criminal record check and up to date Immunizations as required by the Child Care Licensing Regulation government’s ECE Registry.
- A minimum of 2 years of recent experience within a licensed childcare setting.
- Demonstrated evidence of strong communication skills (verbal, written and electronic formats) and ability to work as part of a team with colleagues, parents, and children
- Demonstrated knowledge of the British Columbia Early Learning Framework and the Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care Framework
- Membership with the Early Childhood Educators of BC (ECEBC)
Duties of the position include:
- Collaborate with the kindergarten teacher, other ECE, and school staff to create a seamless transition for children moving between the child-care program and the school day.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with school staff, community partners, families, and children.
- With colleagues, plan and maintain a learning environment that promotes the health, security, and well-being of children
- Support the transition of information between children, families, and classroom colleagues (other ECE and kindergarten teacher).
- Plan, coordinate and manage a quality licensed school-age group child-care program for early primary students.
- Attend meetings as requested.
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information seen or heard.
- Support budget preparation, purchase and maintenance of supplies and materials.
- Maintain statistics for child-care reports.
- Understand and act in accordance with relevant policies and procedures from the school, district, Ministry of Education, Child Care Licensing Regulation, and WorkSafeBC.
- Maintain familiarity with Workplace Hazardous Materials Information.
- Ongoing professional development and maintain ECE Certificate to practice.
Competitive wages and benefits offered. Please send cover letter, resume, a statement describing your Christian worldview, and credentials to:
KARIN RIEMER, ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL
Abbotsford Christian School
3939 Old Clayburn Road
Abbotsford, BC V3G 1J9
Phone: 604.755-1891 Fax: 604.850.7075
CLOSING DATE: until the position is filled.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.