It’s February, and it’s time for another TSI Monthly Update. The construction itself continues to move forward, but there are some new and exciting things happening behind the scenes!
There are three main sections of the project that are considered “new build” and each of them are at different stages. We also have additional areas we are renovating.
- In the middle school wing, we are now in the final occupancy permit stage of the project. All millwork, doors, and final touches have been completed. Most of the furniture has been delivered, assembled, and placed in the classrooms. More furniture will be arriving this week. Upon occupancy, there will be additional movement of items and furniture from current areas to these new spaces. Occupancy is expected soon!
- In the new secondary section, we are steadily moving closer to completion.
- In the Learning Commons and front reception, many things going on internally that are exciting.
- In current spaces being renovated, the secondary admin wing renovations are now complete, and plans are being finalized to re-occupy this space. Other upgrades and renovations are mostly happening during non-school days.
We have now added a fifth section to the TSI Monthly Update: the exterior landscape and parking lot, with work now commencing in these areas.
Middle school wing: February is targeted as “finishing month.”
- Final painting touch-ups will happen.
- The middle music room will receive its final touches. Tectum will be installed on the walls to help dampen the sound in this room.
- All lighting has been installed and final ceiling tiles etc. will get placed.
- All flooring is complete and final touches like baseboards etc. will get completed.
- All wayfinding will be installed.
- A new key system will be installed and implemented.
- Alarm system is being finalized.
- An occupancy permit is expected!
Secondary wing: We will be working on the exterior and interior this month.
- Flooring installation will continue.
- Exterior siding will be completed. This impressive feature is visible from the road.
- Plumbing fixtures, toilets, toilet partitions will be installed.
- The operable walls (movable walls) will be installed in two classrooms.
- The HVAC systems will be commissioned.
- Millwork installation will begin.
- A fume hood for the science classroom will arrive.
- Painting will be completed.
Learning Commons and front reception: The month of February will experience some important additions.
- Guard rails and glass railings will be installed.
- The operable wall (movable wall) tracks will get installed.
- The front entry/vestibule will get completed.
- Front entrance exterior canopy foundations will get poured.
- Mudding and drywall installation will start.
Renovations of current spaces at the secondary campus:
- The upstairs international student offices are being fully renovated.
Landscape and parking lot:
- Excavation for foundations (seat walls, outside stairs, raised stage, retaining walls etc.) will continue.
- West parking lot lighting will get installed.
- Rain garden on west side of the field will get installed.
As most people know, our This Square Inch (TSI) campaign raised $10.5 million to help fund this project. However, the total cost of the project (including the middle school additions) is close to $21 million. We have been quietly fundraising to help bridge this gap, and at our November Annual Society Meeting, we announced the launching of TSI 2.0.
As part of TSI 2.0, we hosted a TSI 2.0 Connect events on Zoom in January for all families who have joined our school in the last three years (since we closed the TSI campaign). We had 38 families participate in these Connect events, and we expect to hold two more events in February. All new families are invited to attend TSI 2.0. Thank you to those who already attended a TSI 2.0 Connect event!
There are other exciting things going on as part of TSI 2.0. For example, the board has designated a separate, stand-alone corporate donor wall in our Learning Commons. This corporate donor wall will acknowledge and celebrate the amazing community that we are a part of and the corporations/businesses who have made a significant contribution to our project. We are also engaged with our current trades partners in the project. They will find their business name up on that wall! We continue to find new corporations and businesses in our community who desire to contribute. If you would like more information on the donor wall, feel free to connect with Brian Koning, Director of Advancement, who is heading up this initiative.
Thanks again for your prayers and support, especially during this unsettling time. We continue to celebrate this project as a community project, and have appreciated the many levels of support we continue to receive for This Square Inch.
If you have any questions or concerns, please be in touch.
Julius Siebenga, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Atsma, Building Project Coordinator, email@example.com
Thanks to our trade partners who have already contributed to the project: