It’s April! Spring is in full swing, and so is our TSI construction project. The project itself continues to move forward, but there are some additional things happening behind the scenes which are also exciting! Many of you received a hard hat tour (those of you who have chosen to participate in the TSI campaign).
There are three main sections of the project that are considered “new build” and each of them are at different stages. We also have additional areas we are renovating. In total, the five main sections are:
- In the middle school wing, we received final occupancy prior to spring break and our grade 7 and 8 students are now in this new space!
- In the new secondary section, we are steadily moving closer to completion.
- In the Learning Commons and main reception, framing is complete and drywall has begun.
- In current spaces being renovated, the secondary admin wing renovations are now complete and are re-occupied by secondary admin staff and student life centre (SLC) staff. Other renovations are mostly happening during non-school days.
- In the exterior landscape and hardscape (parking lots), work will pick up momentum as the weather gets nicer.
Middle school wing: We have completed this part of the project and are now utilizing this space. As we use the space, we are noticing small things that need improvement, which we are busy finding solutions for. The only additional items to work on in the next month are:
- Final wayfinding and wall artwork installation.
- Blinds installation in classrooms.
- Additional furniture purchases and office millwork installation in the new Learning Support Services (LSS) rooms.
Secondary wing: We will be working on both the interior and exterior of this section in the month of April.
- Flooring installation will continue.
- Millwork installation will continue.
- Painting will be completed.
- Ceiling fixtures and lighting installation will be completed.
Learning Commons and main reception: The month of April will include some important additions.
- Drywall installation will be completed.
- Interior painting will commence.
- The old Student Life Centre (SLC) area is now being renovated and turned into a new office/storage area for the kitchen as well as smaller collaboration break-out rooms.
- Four classrooms (two upstairs and two downstairs) in the back of the school beside the secondary music room have now been completely renovated with new flooring, paint, lighting, and ceiling.
- The current art room and adjacent classroom are receiving extensive upgrades to their ceilings due to new fire and safety codes. These rooms will also receive new drywall, paint, flooring, and lighting. We expect these rooms to be complete by the first week of May.
- The middle school gym expansion will commence in mid-April with the pouring of new foundations at the exterior.
Landscape and parking lot:
We are in the process of pouring new sidewalks and continuing work on the front exterior stage and hardscape areas.
We have fully launched TSI 2.0. Our This Square Inch (TSI) campaign raised $10.5 million to help fund this project. However, the total cost of the project (including the middle school additions and secondary upgrades) is close to $22 million.
TSI CONNECT EVENTS: Between January and March, we hosted four TSI Connect events on Zoom for all new school families in the last 3+ years (since we closed the TSI campaign). Sixty-two families have participated in these events, and we expect to hold at least one more for new families in April. Thank you to those who have already attended a TSI 2.0 event!
TSI CORPORATE DONOR WALL: The ACS Board has designated a separate, stand-alone corporate donor wall in our Learning Commons. This unique installation will acknowledge and celebrate our amazing community and the corporations/businesses who have made a significant contribution to the project. We are also engaged with our current trades partners in the project and they will find their business name up on that wall. If you would like more information on how you can join the 21 (and counting) corporations/businesses in our community who have contributed, feel free to connect with Brian Koning, Director of Advancement.
HARD HAT TOURS
We are busy hosting hard hat tours for members of our community throughout the remaining months of construction. These hard hat tours are by invitation only. Every person who has made a financial contribution to the project (of any size), has received an invitation to come on a tour—this is approximately 800 people! These tours have been illuminating for many and we encourage anyone who received an email invitation (most recently from Brian Koning) to sign up.
Thanks again for your prayers and support, especially during this unsettling time. We continue to celebrate this project as a community project, and have appreciated the many levels of support we continue to receive for This Square Inch.
If you have any questions or concerns, please be in touch.
Julius Siebenga, Executive Director, email@example.com
Steve Atsma, Building Project Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our trade partners who have already contributed to the project: