Thanks for joining us for the ground breaking event in April! It was a wonderful celebration. If you missed it, read all about it and take a look at the photos.
The following is a list of the work that continues behind the scenes:
WHAT HAPPENED IN APRIL:
- We finally received our Use Permit to occupy the second set of portables for our middle school classes to move into during construction (something we hoped to do over spring break).
- A key part of the project included an upgrade to the middle school HVAC systems. This important work happened over the course of spring break and the final work has been fully completed. The middle school will now be able to handle the heat of June and September (especially in the upstairs classrooms)!
- Fricia Construction finished its first round of the tender process and they are now finalizing which particular trades will be awarded contracts for the building.
- Fricia Construction also completed a detailed budget for the project now that they have a clear picture of the costs through the tender process. We will use this information to make important decisions moving forward (borrowing, etc).
- Fricia Construction also completed a detailed budget for the project now that they have a clear picture of the costs through the tender process. We will use this information to make important decisions moving forward.
- A number of furniture companies presented to the Design Team with some exciting options for flexible and collaborative furniture.
- Steve Atsma and Fricia Construction are continuing to work with Craven Huston Powers (our architects) to bring the building permit process to completion. At the time of this writing, we are still anxiously awaiting this permit from the City of Abbotsford. They are busy reviewing all of our documents and we expect something soon. The obvious concern in the delay in receiving the permit is the timing of the project and when we anticipate being complete. Once we receive the permit, we will adjust the timelines accordingly.
- The Design Team will finish meeting with classroom teachers and staff to determine specific needs of every new space. They will then be able to determine exact furniture and custom millwork needs throughout the building.
- As mentioned above, Fricia Construction completed a budget and it has presented the board with an opportunity to re-engage our community. We have decided to call a TSI Town Hall meeting for Tuesday, May 21 at 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm in the middle school gym. At this town hall meeting, the ACS board would like to report on the progress of the building project and ask the ACS Society to approve an important decision to help us move forward. This way forward is required in order for us to continue, and as such we are requesting that all staff and parents make this evening a priority. Further details will be forthcoming in a separate communication.
Thanks again for your prayers and support. We continue to celebrate this project as a community project, and we were reminded of this at the ground breaking celebration.
If you have any questions or concerns, please be in touch.
Julius Siebenga—Executive Director
Steve Atsma—TSI Project Coordinator