Welcome to a new school year at ACS Secondary! We are deeply grateful for the trust families place in us each year as parents choose ACS for the education of their family. It is an honour for us to serve your family as we engage minds, nurture hearts and find practical ways to shape God’s world. It is our great desire to see God use our work to build his kingdom as we faithfully live for Jesus in this community.
Here are some things that you can expect on the first day of school:
- Greeting Line—our staff want to welcome you to ACS so expect a warm and energetic welcome as you approach the school on Tuesday morning.
- “Groups” time—we begin the year in our grade level “groups.” The groups have changed this year for ALL students and lists will be posted in the lobby. Group time starts at 8:30 am.
- Opening Day Chapel—this is a chance to begin our year with worship, a challenge and a few introductions.
- Short Blocks—the schedule for Tuesday, September 3 is written below. Our goal is to have you visit each class for a short time to get an introduction on what to expect from each of your teachers this semester.
- Friendly Faces—we hope your first day of school is warm, welcoming and exciting. If you need anything, don’t be afraid to ask ANY staff member for help. Veteran students will help new students and point people in the right direction so please ask them. We are all very excited for the start of the year.
|8:30-9:30 am||Group time with Homeroom Teachers|
Opening Day (Tuesday, September 3) “Block” Schedule:
|9:50-10:35 am||Block A|
|10:45-11:30 am||Block B|
|12:15 pm||Attendance in Homeroom Groups|
|12:20-1:20 pm||Opening Day Chapel—in Middle School Gym
Grade 9 & 10 in the bleachers
Grade 11 & 12 in chairs
|1:20-2:00 pm||Block C|
|2:10-2:50 pm||Block D|
Parent Portal for Student Information
We utilize Power School for Parents and it allows our families to view their students’ progress and grades online anytime. It also allows parents and guardians access to school announcements, email updates of student progress, student fee accounts and many other features. Your access to this Parent Portal replaces our paper copies of “Interim Reports.”
If you are a current user, you still need to add any new students who entered grade 9 this year. Families who are new to the secondary campus will get more information next week on how to set up the parent portal.
This email including an instructional video will be sent out Wednesday next week.
Welcome New Staff!
We want to welcome a number of new staff to ACS Secondary:
Christine Boer—Christine joins us from Unity Christian and has experience teaching in several Christian schools across Canada. She will be teaching Drama classes and heading up our mainstage production this year.
Jessica Thiessen —Jessica joins us from the Abbotsford School District and has a passion for PBL and cross curricular education. Jessica will be teaching junior Science, Outdoor Ed 12 and junior PE. She also has a passion for various athletics, so you’ll probably see her involved in some of our extra curricular sports teams.
Brent Westerink —Brent joins us from Langley Christian and has taught a variety of courses during his time there. Brent will be teaching several subjects including Life Science 11 (Biology 11), Robotics 11, Workplace Math 11, Workplace Math 10 and heading up our new Career Education Program.
Kathleen McLeod —Kathleen joins us from Langley Christian. She will be joining our Learning Support Services Department as an Education Assistant.
Kerry Schwenneker —Although not new to ACS, she is new to our campus. Kerry will be serving as our librarian one day a week in addition to her time at the Elementary campus.
Here is a message from our Academic Counselor, Monica deRegt:
Please note that we worked on many course change requests in June. You will receive your updated schedules in September when you return. If you still wish to change some courses at that time, we will have the usual course change request process in place, starting September 4. Only students that do not ha