We hope this update finds everyone healthy and well during this unsettling time.
When the COVID-19 Response happened and in-class instruction was suspended, the ACS Board made a decision to authorize the construction to continue its work and take over full reign of the campuses for the rest of the school year. Last month, we also announced that there would not be any more classes at the secondary/middle school campuses to accommodate this construction. However, with the recent announcement from BC government regarding a mandated “partial restart of in-class instruction” for the month of June, we had to pivot our thinking—as we now have middle and secondary students back on our campus for three weeks.
We are happy to say that this pivot back to in-class instruction for some students has not slowed the construction, as we have isolated this return to our portables only.
The construction happening at our campus continues to be a “silver lining” for our school community. If one drives by or catches the weekly videos that we are producing, it is hard not to get excited. Things are definitely taking shape!
At the middle school we have:
- Completed the demolition of the admin wing and relocated the admin offices and staff room to alternative locations in the middle school. As a result of this demolition, the new entry for the middle school is now at the southeast corner of the building.
- Completed a new staff bathroom for use while in the building.
- Erected the walls of the two-storey middle school classroom wing at the northwest side of the building (behind the secondary gym).
- Installed steel structure and windows and built out both floors/roof structure of the two-storey northwest building.
At the secondary we have:
- Finished the flooring, painting, and cabinetry of the international students classroom and have come close in the new computer lab.
- De-commissioned the International Students downstairs offices and gutted the POL studio.
- Cordoned off two staircases (one on the northwest side tying into the new middle school wing, and one on the west side tying into the new southwest building of the secondary).
- Erected the walls of the two-storey southwest secondary class wing.
And for the front learning commons we have:
- Demolished the front lobby of the secondary campus. As above, the only entrance to the secondary or middle campus is now through the middle school’s southeast entrance.
- Poured the cement for the footings of the front learning commons and entry way.
- Electrical and mechanical will start to get roughed in of the northwest middle school classroom wing.
- Steel stud walls will start to be constructed in the northwest middle school classroom wing.
- The tilt up panels of the learning commons will be poured.
- Interior steel structure work for the southwest secondary classroom wing will commence.
- Various other areas of renovation and prep work will also continue inside the existing buildings.
Thanks again for your prayers and support, especially during this unsettling time. We continue to celebrate this project as a community project, and have appreciated the many levels of support we continue to receive here at This Square Inch.
If you have any questions or concerns, please be in touch.
Julius Siebenga, Executive Director
Steve Atsma, TSI Project Coordinator